The Monowave was the brainchild of UK electronics designer, Paul Maddox. Paul has been designing and building synths for years as well as releasing his own unique music realized on his impressive modular creations.
Paul wanted to build a synth the roots of which lay in the PPG. Originally intended as a monophonic bass synth, the Monowave has uses beyond that.
The Monowave is a wavetable synthesizer with 256 waves available for each of the two oscillators. Each oscillator also has a sub-oscillator. The filter is a copy of the Moog filter, there are separate envelope generators for the filter and amplifier, and a simple LFO. The panel is very 'retro' and 'traditional' with knobs for every function and a simple display. Internally, the circuitry is all analogue (except for the digital circuitry used in the oscillators)... no wimpy DSP thank you very much - this is a 'real' synth!!
Paul has now released the MonoWave as GPL and has given me permission to release the PCB and a Component Kit for those that unfortunately missed the first, limited run. I have upgraded the main microcontroller to the newer ATMEGA16. A future version of the software will support the ATMEGA32 which will allow developers to further extend the capabilities of the design should they wish.
This Device is available to buy as -
- A fully assembled unit
- A full DIY kit, all parts and components to build your own
- 2 Oscillators: Each with 256 waveforms, 127 from PPG2.2/2.3.
- Each oscillator has a Sub oscillator, and seperate volume controls for each.
- Overall tune and octave selection for each oscillator with fine detune for oscillator 2.
- You can also lower the resolution (de-rez) of either/both oscillators for a more gritty sound.
- Also the current waveform can be controlled via MIDI CC.
- VCF: Is a Moog Ladder copy. 24dB/Octave, Low-pass.
- You can route Keyfollow & Velocity to it.
- You can also overdrive the incoming signals and the resonance a little.
- VCA: Very high signal to noise ratio and incredibly clean sounding.
- You can route the Velocity to it and also slightly overdrive it as well.
- 2 EG's: One for Filter and one for VCA, both are ADSR type.
- These go from very quick (~3mS) to a a few seconds for each stage (~6 Seconds).
- A 'HOLD' mode is also available.
- LFO: Triangle wave LFO, routable to Osc1 pitch, Osc2 pitch and VCF (via note follow knob).
- Rate can be varied via MIDI CC.
- You can also chose to turn on 'keysync' so pressing a new note will restart the LFO.
- Display: The display is a 2-line LCD.
- LEDs for de-rez buttons and LFO/Midi Activity LED so you can instantly see MIDI data that is recognized by the Monowave.
- Connections: MIDI-IN, MIDI-THRU and Audio out (monophonic).
- Operating System
- The OS (V5.2) has the following features;-
- Ability to use detune to offset second oscillator in semitones
- LFO, a triangle wave, but it can be routed to Osc1, Osc2 and VCF in any combination, LFO/Arp rate now controllable by MIDI CC number 48
- CC16,17,18 and 19 control oscillator waveform
- It responds to midi on any channel set by user (pressing SEL+CHAN buttons) the channel number is stored in flash memory
- Contents: Panel, PCB/s, Chassis, Components, Ribbon Cable, Screws, 15v Power Supply 110v-240v (Pin Adapter May Be Required to suit your countries power point)
- Build and Technical Information: Click Here
Elby Designs Monowave X DIY KIT 2-Oscillator PPG Inspired Wavetable Synthesizer
With Tracking 7-14 Business Days (Estimated)
Sales & Taxes.
The sale price listed is AUD (Australian Dollar), and is the final price to pay.
Credit Card (Visa, Mastercard, Amex), PayPal.
1-Year warranty against defects, and manufacturing faults. (Click for more)
This device is supplied with an 15V (110-240v) power supply, and is suitable for worldwide use.